1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks from hatchery and medicated feed question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiebabyfluff, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    I purchased chicks from a hatchery and i paid for them to be vacinated.....so do i still feed them the medicated feed or regular?

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If they were vaxed for coccidia, then you do NOT want to use medicated feed. If they were vaxed for something else (like Marek's, for example), it's completely unrelated and you would use medicated feed if you desire protection from coccidiosis.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree. They probably vaccinated for Mareks. Did you get anything with the chicks that say what vaccinations they gave the chicks? I use medicated Starter/Grower. I feed it to the birds until I get my first egg then I switch over to Layer. If I have any Starter/Grower or Grower left over when I get my first egg, I mix in the leftover feed with the Layer feed. I have never had any problems. The amprolium in the Starter or Starter/Grower helps in the chicks development in their resistance to cocci. It is sulfa based. There is only a problem eating the eggs layed by the birds that have had the medicated feed when they start to lay if you have any allergies to Sulfa. I do use layer pellets as I find the birds waste less.

4. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    :)There were vacinated for Marecks so we are good to go then on the Medicated feed!! Ty so much for the info!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by