chicks from hatchery are dead on delivery (pics of healthy chicks)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by willkatdawson, Aug 1, 2008.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    How many chicks is it normal to lose during delivery? Six out of the sixteen chicks I ordered from Randall Burkey were dead today when I opened the ship box. Is that normal? Also it seems strange that out of the 5 Speckled Sussex I ordered only one is alive and not looking so good at that. Everyone of the Buff Orpingtons look great!
    A[​IMG]nd 3 of the 5 Barred Rock have mad[​IMG]e it so far.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I think that is an unusually high loss rate...

I'd contact the hatchery - they should either refund for your losses or re-ship, depending on their policy.

Hope the others do well for you!

3. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I think that it is too hot this time of the year. Someone posted this morning that she lost all of hers - from Ideal.
    So sad.
    [​IMG]

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Very sad! Contact them immediately....

..now I am worried! My babies are due to arrive this week!!!! [​IMG]

5. HeadHen

HeadHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Houston, TX
    On 7/24 I got 26 from MM in 98 degree heat and 70% humidity and they all arrived chirping and happy when I brought them home from the PO. Haven't lost one [​IMG]

6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

did they deliver to your door? Or did you pick up at the post office?

Mine I picked up at the post office, and they told me that the longer the chicks sit at the PO, the more of them die. Even if they just sit there until afternoon.

Not sure why.

7. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I just ordered 16 chicks from Ideal I hope I don't loose any O.O

8. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    If you decide to pick them up at the post office how do you know when they are there, and which post office?? This is my first time ordering them online...well over the phone my mom doesn't trust the computer w/ her credit card #

9. spoonie

spoonie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Juda, WI
    When I got mine, I called the post office two days ahead of time and asked them if they could be sure to call me as soon as they arrived. My post office called me at 6:30am, so I got there almost as soon as they got to the PO. It definitely helps to get there as soon as possible, and having good communication helps a lot. I didn't lose a single chick, everyone was healthy and happy.

10. HeadHen

HeadHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I was thinking...people who get to the PO ASAP seemed to have the least amount of casualties. PO's are usually air conditioned. The longer the chicks sit in there the colder they get?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by