Chicks from incubator

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickalicia, Feb 14, 2015.

1. chickalicia

chickalicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    I have four chicks that hatched from my incubator. They are about two weeks old. I also have a broody that has ten chicks about week old. She is a good mother. Am I able to sneak those four chicks in with her other chicks? Or should I set up a separate area secured from others inside of main coop ?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I would sneak them in for sure. Make mama hen earn her keep =D =D This way they all grow together and you don't have the issues of introducing newcomers. WISHING YOU BEST
    [​IMG]

3. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Thank you ;). Can I do it in day time

4. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Hens are motherly type. I have read in obscure postings that they even tried to steal other chicks to make them their own. Add one at a time to make a smaller impact and that there is an adjustment for physical room under her. If you do it during night time, then it goes to my chicken psychology.""""""" Hmmmmmmm, little one, you sure grew fast , you must be eating well. Hope your siblings catch up."""""
    [​IMG]

5. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Lol. That's was funny the chicken psychology!! That sounds like good idea. I'm going to make the maternity ward bigger then I think I will. I did try one chick in there it didn't seem to bother her but the chick looked lost. The others followed momma and that one just stayed and kept looking to get out to me.

6. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Little one will learn quick how great that warmth feels. She is like an orphan , but will be accepted by the caring family for sure. When its nap time they will seek out the warmth. My adult chickens snuggle up.

7. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    How precious. I think broody hens are wonderful. I love how they talk to their babies. I love sitting out here with them and watch them Thank you. I will introduce them to her ;)

8. SusanPC

SusanPC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2014
    Southwest Florida
    I also agree that you could add the other chicks. We just added 1 chick yesterday thats the same age as the other 8 chicks raised with Mama but spent her first week in a brooder. We popped her in with Mom in the nest box last night. In the morning, everyone left the nest box except the new chick. I thought something must have happened in the night, but she was just sitting in the nest wondering where everyone had gone. I put her with the others near the food and she has quickly figured out to stay with pack, especially that great big heat source!

1 person likes this.
  9. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    I made a bigger maternity ward for mama hen and her ten chicks I tried to put the four in and they just looked around like what the heck is going on. Mama was just getting ready to settle in for night. Called her babies and they all ran to her except them. The stayed by me. I put them over by her and she was ok w them but they always ran to me. So I took them back inside. Will try another time. Or just wait till they ate old enough to go outside in a separate coop inside coop until they are big enough to be with others.

1 person likes this.
  10. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Ty caveman rich. Lol. I still need to. It's going to rain here tomorow and get cold again here for few nights. So I may wait till it's warm again. Idk lol. I have this new chick born few days early that loves me to hold him. He can't stand up yet. Getting better. I think he will be the hardest of them all. He is only four days old. .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by