1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks from Orschelans?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DarthRooster, Oct 1, 2013.

1. DarthRooster

DarthRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Northwest Arkansas
    Anyone else have experience with Orschelans and their chicks? I got 6 EEs and 2 Buff Orpingtons from them. Seem to be doing very well

2. HummingbirdMO

HummingbirdMO Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2013
    SW Missouri
    We got our chicks from Orschelan's back in June. Fifteen of them to be exact. All of them have survived and are doing great! We got a mixed group, not sure of all the breeds, but know there are 2 gold laced
    polish and 3 barred rocks, some red sex links, RIR and maybe a few others I get them all mixed up :) Of the 15, two turned out to be roosters (one of the polish and also a lovely white rooster I've named Rusty for the rust colored feathers on his wings, pretty sure he is a red sex link roo). Luckily for the two boys, we live in the country so their crows aren't an automatic sentence to the stew pot ;-) Hoping that the ladies start laying soon, they are approx 19 weeks old now so crossing my fingers!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  3. DarthRooster

Sep 13, 2013
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yea this is my second batch from them. First batch was 6 EEs and 4 brown leghorns. They went to my inlaws to bolster their flock. Only ended up with 1 EE rooster, black and white coloring. They are all supposed to be pullets and just like the first batch I think this second batch has one rooster but it's a buff Orpington and I only have 2 :( guess both Orps will be going to the inlaws farm.

4. LBKS

LBKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Louisburg, KS
    I had picked up a few up earlier this year, plus a few my mother bought for me from there. Of the 5 I picked, 4 were roosters. Of the 10 my mother picked, 10 were roosters. That said, we picked them up just before clearance time, so I strongly suspect that they had been picked over with all the girls picked out.

Other than the lopsided gender distribution, they were all healthy and did well. There are some meaty birds in that group, and a couple will remain in my flock due to their good disposition so far.

So I guess my only recommendation is that you don't wait until the end to pick up your birds because you may risk running a high proportion of roosters.

5. DarthRooster

Sep 13, 2013
    Northwest Arkansas
    Mine had a bin labeled "pan fry" when I asked what they were they told me a mix of cockerels, mostly leghorns. They also had a ton on Cornish cross. They were struggling getting in layers in my area. RIRs, buff Orpingtons, and EEs lasted about 3 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by