1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

~Chicks from Rural King~ What gender are they?~

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lady Chickadee, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    The standard sized chickens are sexed pullets but we all know how that goes.The bantams are straight run.I got them from Rural King. They're 4 weeks old. I'm only posting pictures of the ones that I'm sure are cockerels or ones that I'm unsure about.

#1 I'm positive is a cockerel, hes a RIR.
    Body shot
    [​IMG]

#2 RIR. Unsure about gender???
    Body shot
    [​IMG]
    Head shot
    [​IMG]

#3 RIR pullet???
    Body shot
    [​IMG]
    Head shot
    [​IMG]

#4 Sex-link Unsure about gender???
    Body Shot
    [​IMG]

#5 Sex-link pullet??
    Body shot
    [​IMG]
    Head shot
    [​IMG]

#6 Unsure about breed(bantam). Roo..
    [​IMG]
    Head shot
    [​IMG]

#7d'Uccle roo
    Body shot
    [​IMG]
    Head shot
    [​IMG]

#8 Unsure about breed. Roo.Bantam.
    Body Shot
    [​IMG]
    Head shot
    [​IMG]

#9Barred Rock. Pullet???
    Body Shot
    [​IMG]
    Head shot
    [​IMG]
    #10 Barred rock. Pullet??
    Body shot
    [​IMG]
    Head shot
    [​IMG]

Thanks!!

2. Niinna

Niinna New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    Why do my chickens bite my I'm nice to them

3. Niinna

Niinna New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    I mean me

4. #3 is the only one that i'm 100% sure that it's a pullet, although there is a slim chance that #4 and 10 could be pullets... the rest are roos.

5. some chickens (especially roosters) are just aggressive for no reason, I use to have these two mutt roosters who would attack my dad and I whenever we got close, we ended up giving them to my uncle where they now roam on this huge land and rarely have any close-up human contact.

6. Lady Chickadee

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Okay,thanks!

7. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    The barred rocks look like girls - they're hen feathered. They'd be much lighter in color if boys. 4&5 look like girls too. All bantams appear to be boys. Not sure about the RIR.

8. Atlantakycklingar

Atlantakycklingar Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2011
    Atlanta
    +1

9. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I agree. The barred rocks both look like pullets to me. And Im pretty sure your sexlinks are pullets too because roos would be white.

Some of my chicks peck at me too. I just give them a gentle poke to the shoulder. I dont pull away or else they will get the message that peckin it how you get people to leave you alone and it will build their confidence for pecking. I try and simulate another chicken correcting them for bein too rough. I have one that pecks me when I pet his chest so anytime Im holding the chicks Ill always pick him up and pet his chest until he gives in and stops givin me trouble. No idea if itll work but it only took a few pokes before he stopped peckin at me and has been bein much better.

10. Lady Chickadee

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Okay,thanks for the replies. I'm hoping for girls so its good to know that the barred rocks are girls and some of the others are pullets to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by