Chicks from same breeder keep dying, but all the rest of my chicks and her chickens are fine.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HannahRobyn3, Oct 8, 2016.

1. HannahRobyn3

HannahRobyn3 New Egg

May 24, 2015
    Hey guys. I'm in a really frustrating situation here and just don't know what to do. I've been reading dozens of these forums for days and just can't figure out what is going on. So here's the situation. I got four couple day old bantam Cochin chicks from a reputable breeder in my area. They got all set up in my brooder and a few days later I put a couple of chicks one of my hens (a mean broody, always tries to kill her chicks) hatched in with them. After a couple days the Cochins started doing the gasping for air thing and looked really weak. They started to die off one by one until all four were gone. But my other chicks are still fine. The breeder kindly replaced the chicks (from her seemingly perfectly healthy flock) with four new ones who I set up in a whole new completed fresh and clean brooder all by themselves. Well tonight, without any gasping or other symptoms, two just dropped dead. I fear the other two will be gone by morning and I am just so frustrated and distraught and confused. What is going on here??? Any ideas? I'm at a total loss. Thanks so much for any insight, I really need it.

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    What are they eating? Prior to them dying, did they appear to be eating and drinking fine?

How well is the area you have them in heated?

How well is the ventilation?

My 1st year raising up chicks, I lost a buff Orpington. She was gasping for air and only a few days old. I kept them in our well ventilated garage in a heated broody box-which is also well ventilated. Another buff started with same symptoms, I got to cleaning & she pulled through. There are certain breeds that are more sensitive than others. Every year I now buy 2 buff Orpington chicks from the feed store. Just by watching them, they let me know when the dust, feather dander, etc is bad. Sometimes it's a week, sometimes its a day. Hoping your other 2 pull through.

3. HannahRobyn3

HannahRobyn3 New Egg

May 24, 2015
    Thank you for the insight, I appreciate it. They did appear to be eating and drinking but stopped an hour or so before they died. They are in a well heated, well ventilated area. All you did to save your other buff orpington was clean out their enclosure? I will definitely try that, although it is already very clean! Thank you again, I hope they make it. It's just so sad and frustrating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by