Chicks from the diseased

JeromeY

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
As we all know, these viral respiratory diseases are around and cannot be cured but alleviated. Also knowing that it carries along through eggs and of course, chicks are affected. Now my question is... will this “generation” have a hardier resistance to the disease? Will it even be a problem aside from bringing in healthy birds to the mix? Thank you for your time

Attachments

• EE9A2123-E177-4303-9FFE-AC81105E04D5.jpeg
    EE9A2123-E177-4303-9FFE-AC81105E04D5.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 5
As we all know, these viral respiratory diseases are around and cannot be cured but alleviated. Also knowing that it carries along through eggs and of course, chicks are affected. Now my question is... will this “generation” have a hardier resistance to the disease? Will it even be a problem aside from bringing in healthy birds to the mix? Thank you for your time

If you can get your bird tested and determine whether it is viral, that would tell you for sure what you are dealing with. I know for me I can not get birds tested, so I would give broad spectrum antibiotics for coryza/cocci. Maybe it is not viral but rather bacterial, and it will improve.

Does your chicken smell bad too or have watery eyes or mucous discharge? I have coryza in my flock that comes with these symptoms, but it is a bacterial infection, not a virus. I treat it whenever symptoms appear, and the mucous stops and the swelling goes down. Their immune system is weakened and fragile when these symptoms are appearing so I also deworm prior to giving the antibiotics just in case that is a contributing factor.

If you can get your bird tested and determine whether it is viral, that would tell you for sure what you are dealing with. I know for me I can not get birds tested, so I would give broad spectrum antibiotics for coryza/cocci. Maybe it is not viral but rather bacterial, and it will improve.

Does your chicken smell bad too or have watery eyes or mucous discharge? I have coryza in my flock that comes with these symptoms, but it is a bacterial infection, not a virus. I treat it whenever symptoms appear, and the mucous stops and the swelling goes down. Their immune system is weakened and fragile when these symptoms are appearing so I also deworm prior to giving the antibiotics just in case that is a contributing factor.
Do you give them Ivermectin for worming?

Back
Top Bottom