1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks from the same hatchery, can you incorporate them all at the same time?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rustyangel, Apr 2, 2012.

1. rustyangel

rustyangel New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Hello! This is my first post to backyard chickens! I'm also a first time chicken owner. We purchased chicks at two separate times from the same hatchery - is it ok to put them together without worry of disease? I currently have them separate because that is what is advised (plus our other birds are 2 weeks old and almost triple the size and the new little ones). But they did come from the same hatchery so logically, they would have the same "germs"? The hatches are 2 weeks apart.
    thanks for any feedback!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think they'll be fine if you put them together. I often integrate chicks that are up to three weeks apart. Generally, you want to quarantine new chickens for at least two weeks, but with chicks from the same hatchery, I think you'll be just fine, especially if they're all looking healthy.

3. rustyangel

rustyangel New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Thanks chicmom! That's what I thought, but wanted some confirmation from seasoned chicken keepers. I know that you def have to be careful when they are coming from different hatcheries. Everyone looks healthy and is getting big! That little chic below is only 2 weeks old and double in size of what our newest ones are!
    [​IMG]

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    :welcome
    Sounds like your chicks are doing well! Yep, you should have no problems with putting them together, it's commonly done. The little fella in the photo looks charming already. :p

5. rustyangel

rustyangel New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Thanks Fierlin1182! I cannot believe how fast they grow! I'm going to wait to have to two breeds intermix to give the new babies a chance to get bigger. That way they can defend themselves if they get picked on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by