Chicks fully formed but not hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Imheavenbound, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Imheavenbound

Imheavenbound New Egg

Mar 4, 2017
    I used to have great luck hatching eggs in my cabinet style incubator with automatic turner, but the last 4 times, I get very few chicks and have to help most of those.
    Humidity is kept at 50 during the first days and upped to 60 during the last few days. The temp is a steady 99.5 throughout the entire process.
    The incubator is 4 levels and I've got thermometers throughout each level and hygrometers too.
    Sometimes the chicks will start pipping and then dry up. Other times, they never even pip but when I check the eggs, they have fully formed but never hatched.
    I have even upped the humidity during hatching, as far as 85% just trying to figure out what's wrong.
    I've cleaned the incubator, even tried making an upper tray the hatching area in case the air flow wasn't right, but nothing.
    I'm so confused and at a total loss.
    They are all different breeds so it's not particular chickens.
    Any suggestions at all? I'd love to hatch more eggs but I'm tired of watching them die.
    Please help, if you can!
    Email me at 2 [email protected] if you have any suggestions.
    Thanks!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    What are you doing different?
    What have you changed?
    Have You changed thermometer/hydrometer?
    What is the temp in the incubator?
    What is the temp in the hatching tray?
    Have you always incubated at 50%?
    50% is way to high for the incubation in my opinion, 60% is way to low for the hatch in my Opinion.
    Sounds like they are drowning because the air cells are to small??
    Do you set eggs weekly?
    Do you candle and remove bad eggs?
    Are you a Hands-on-hatcher or a hands--of---hatcher??
    Do you open the incubator during the hatch?
    For sure something is wrong and different being your hatch has dropped a lot.

1 person likes this.
  3. Imheavenbound

Imheavenbound New Egg

Mar 4, 2017

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I did not mean to overwhelm you with the questions, You got a problem and to save time I asked several questions on one post instead of one or two per post, which would take a lot of back and forth posting.

You said you do not candle the eggs, but you said the air cell was normal----how you know that?
    If you do not candle and remove "bad" eggs I wonder if the bad eggs are effecting the good eggs.

Have you put a thermometer in the hatching tray to check the temp in it?

I am going to Private Message you.

5. HARRY47264

HARRY47264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bismarck AR
    Sorry for your dilemma go to the learning center click on hatching and raising chicks then click on dry incubation method. An excellent article
    Harry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by