chicks getting beat up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Corey NC, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    this realyl isn't a question I just want some to make sure I did the right thing.

Ok, I moved the eleven 15 week old into the adult coop 2 days ago. They stayed in a large pen within the coop for around 24 hours. I let them out yesterday morning and as I expected they were picked on by the 15 standards. This morning things have settled a lot but I noticed that while the other adults only picked at the chicks when they were in their way my two SLWs went out of their way to pick on them. So the SLWs were booted out into the grow out pen and things calmed down.

I also noticed this morning that my Barred Rock chick had a bloody spot on her head. i brought her in and sure enough there was a beak sized cut about an inch away from her eye, pretty deep. So I cleaned it out with bactine and put antibacterial ointment on it an she and the smallest GLW chick are in the broody pen together.

Is there anything else I can do?

2. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

they're sorting out a pecking order....

I think you did the right thing as chickens like to peck red...and seeing a chicken bleeding looks and tastes good.

Have a hospital pen for her, let her heal, and the others will see her all the time, and supervise her release in a few days to a weeks time when she heals.

I've got two extra "rabbit hutch" type for broodies and hospitals as the need arises.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sounds like you are handling it just right. I bet after a few days of the mean ones being isolated...they will lose thier status, and should be able to go back in the flock..if need be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by