Chicks Getting butt clog

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jjackm21911, Nov 20, 2008.

1. jjackm21911

jjackm21911 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    rising sun maryland
    my chicks i have 14 beautiful black sex links and they keep getting this butt clog after every vowel movement
    what can i do?
    how can i stop it?

please someone respond quick so i know what to do i dont want to loose any of theese beautiful chicks

Thanks.Jack Miller The 3Rd
    [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's called pasty butt and you need to clean their rear ends with warm water.

3. jjackm21911

Nov 20, 2008
    rising sun maryland
    Thanks alot and how long do i have to do this for

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    are you putting sugar in the water? if so you can discontinue it, and just keep washing them off with warm water. they should outgrow that.
    just making sure they have plenty of fresh water, and chick starter crumbles and clean litter, warm light...
    they should be ok.
    just keep watching out for poopy butt and clean them off.
    it happens a lot.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    First it's probably too warm in the brooder or they aren't getting enough water.

Check their hineys and remove the pasty poop so that they can poop again. Make certain that they can get away from the heat. Have a "cool" spot they can go to in the brooder.

How old are they?

Oh, and if they continue to have vowel movements, feed them consonant chick starter. [​IMG]

6. jjackm21911

Nov 20, 2008
    rising sun maryland
    yea i got them on some news paper and there doing good but i got one stubborn hen that likes to lay down alot and the other chicks like to step on her what can i do about that should i take her out and put her alone?

7. jjackm21911

Nov 20, 2008
    rising sun maryland
    they are 3 days old and they are getting the pasty butt alot so do i need to do this every day or what i think i should and the hen im worried about the hen getting crushed

8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    First, they need to get off the newspaper ASAP! It can get slippy and cause leg problems in baby chicks. Paper towels work great for babies and won't cause issues. As for the pasty bottoms.....gee....when I had one with that problem I checked her many times a day. Just wash it off and get them back under the heat light so they don't get chilled. It will eventually stop. I am really confused about the stubborn hen? Is this an adult hen who is raising these chicks and they are stepping on her?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  9. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    do you have a full grown hen in with chicks? did she hatch them out?
    you have to check every day, but you should have pine shavings instead of newspaper. it is a lot cleaner for them.
    what kind of brooder do you have them in?

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Put some baking soda in their water. Just a little. It will work wonders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by