chicks getting too big for thier pen?

in2chickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Norco, CA
I have 8 chicks, 5 are about 4-5 weeks and the other 3 are just two weeks.

I have them in a dog kennal and it's getting very crowded. Nobody is picking on one another yet. The older chicks are about 70 percent fethered out. I live in so cal, we have had 85-90n degree days with the night time low at 65. Can I put them out in the coop?

If I do put the 5 in the coop, will I have trouble in a few weeks when they are put togather again?

It's the nighttime temps that are a little low. To be safe, I always wait until they are completely feathered out or provide a heat source at night. Why not move the three chicks into another container but put it right next to the other 5 so they can still see each other?

As I look at a pen of birds, I don't focus on a bird. I take a gaze over all and if the space is more that 50% birds, they are too crowded. I like to see 75% open space to be honest but that may not be realistic for some. I'd put them all in the coop and provide a heat lamp for nights. Will not take much. Mine are 3 weeks today and they prefer a 65 degree area inthe coop over an 80 degree area. They ahve free acces to both .

Last edited:
Hey there! I'm in North/Central California and I just put my 4 weekers out to stay yesterday. I was a wreak! I went out this morning and they are happy as can be. Then again, I haven't used the heat lamp on them as they didn't like it and panted no matter how far away it was. Mine are about 70% or so feathered I think, but I have one of those dog-loo (dog house looks like an igloo) things that is raised up a foot and a half off the ground. It gets warm in there during the day, so by night time, they are all ready to snuggle down and sleep. This morning they were waiting by the door to be let out.
love.gif
When I opened the door I fashioned for the dogloo, they flew down to the ground and started running/flying around the run. The only thing I'm worried about is that mine are black and so I would guess it's easy for them to overheat in our California summers. I am freezing some 2 liter bottles so if it gets above 85-90 I can put it out there and they can rest against it if needed. It always worked for our rabbits so I hope it works for feathered critters too.

My bantam 3-4 weekers are still inside though. Now I have plenty of room for them and they won't get trampled. Yes we will have to go through rigorous introductions later, but for now they need to be separate!

As long as they are sheltered from wind/preadators/ect at night and are in something where the body heat can accumulate a little, I would think it would be fine. Good luck!
hugs.gif

Thanks for all of the great advice. The pen is currently at about 50/50 ratio. My little hens dont like the heat lamp either, it's just too hot here. The dog loo is a great idea. I have been worried about if the little critters would make up the the inside area of thier coop. I have a medium size dog carrier that will work like the dogloo. I think I will wait until this weekend when I can be mother hen and keep an eye on them all day. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom