Chicks going "crazy" after light removed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dodson, Apr 2, 2012.

1. dodson

dodson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ok, this is our second time around with chicks. We live in Colorado and already have 5 Silver Laced Wyandotte Hens for over a year now. The question I have involves the 3 new chicks we got about 7 weeks ago. Temps here in Colorado have been in the 70's in the last couple week and our new chicks "were ready to move outside to introduce to our current flock. But temps have dropped and we cant make that happen yet.

Here is the issue. They are past the heat lamp, so my wife removed it. They get light from whatever is in the room when we have lights on or sunlight through the window their brooder sits under. No light source is 'just" for them. THEY ARE GOING NUTS durring the afternoon and early evening. Cherping far more than our other girls did and all the time.

Question... Is it the lack of bright light above them? Help!

The Dodson's

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah, this early spring definitely is changable - 65 degree nights then 40 degree nights - I've been trying to work young ones out too.
    I'd offer them just a 40 W bulb (reg. not heat) for a day or three, then just a night light. I doubt that they're cold - the change of not having the light is probably just scaring them a bit - you know how they hate change...

3. dodson

dodson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Great advice! I wasn't even thinking about them being scared! We just clipped on a 60 watt light and it seems to have calmed them! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by