Chicks going downhill...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilJeffy, Aug 14, 2011.

1. LilJeffy

LilJeffy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Newvlle, PA
    I hatched 7 peeps in the beginning of July. All seemed well until a few weeks ago. The first one came down with splayed leg at about 4 weeks, then #2 did the same thing about a week later. Brought them both inside and treated them and both got better, up and walking in less than a week. #3 came in because she was waddling like a duck. #1 and #2 started to regress and were having issues walking again. Again#1 got better #2 ended up dying. #2 was continually on her back, unable to flip herself back over. #3 is still in the same condition with the waddling. Now today I go to the coop and find yet another chick down. She was just sitting on the floor, still responsive, yet very lethargic. I put her in the infirmary, and tried to get her to eat and drink with no luck. She just kinda sat with her eyes open. I put my fingers in front of her eyes to see if I would get any reaction, but I didn't. She didn't even blink. I watched all the healthy chicks running around yesterday evening, now today one is down for the count. If anyone knows what might be going on, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May first thought is there is a vitamin deficiency. What are you feeding them?

2 suggestions: Get the electrolyte/vitamin powder from your feed store, the one you put in their water and second, you might need to dose them with Poly-Visol for a while to get their levels where they need to be. That you can get at Walgreens, it's an infant liquid vitamin supplement. Make sure you get the version that doesn't contain Iron. I would give each chick at least a drop directly into their mouth today and then a couple drops in their water for a week. [One whole dropper if you're using a gallon, a few drops if you're using a 1 quart with the vitamin powder from the feed store. ] After the week is over, just keep up with the electrolyte/vitamin mix. No need for the Poly-Visol unless you see them having problems again.

Hope that helps them. Good luck!

3. LilJeffy

LilJeffy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Newvlle, PA
    Sorry... I forgot to add that detail about the supplements they're all on. I did start them all on Poly-Vi-Sol a few weeks ago, realizing I didn't have them on a medicated feed, which is part of what I attributed to them getting better. I quit giving the vitamins by mouth and put some in their water and have an electrolyte in their water. They are all on a regular crumble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by