Chicks going outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The fluffy bums, Jun 16, 2019.

1. The fluffy bums

The fluffy bums In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2019
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I have 11 chicks 6 are Plymouth Rocks and 5 are Rhoda island red and they are going to be there weeks In 2 days and they are outside for their first night and is it bad that they are happy with cool weather it’s 16 degrees and they are happy I’m very confused is this usually

2. Not sure.
    Question is somewhat confusing.
    If your chicks are contented, eating and drinking and not cheeping loudly i would agree they are happy.
    Where in the world are you located? What will be your nighttime temperatures?
    Did you prepare for cold temps if necessary? I think you are saying the chicks are three weeks old. Not fully feathered yet then.

3. The fluffy bums

Jun 2, 2019
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I’m in Limoges,on and that temperature was at 9:30 it went down to 9 last night I put a heat lamp in the coop at 8:00 but they were still content outside it was just confusing for me because everyone says that they have to have specific temperatures but they like the cold and that’s okay it just was odd

4. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Are you talking about 16C, or 16F? 16C is okay for chicks of that age, do they still have a heat source they can go to? Is that the low temperature for the night, or the high for the day?
    Edit I see you answered my questions....
    I'd say don't worry if they seem to be fine. My broody hen took her babies outside in cool temps, only 4 days old, and they rarely went under her to warm up.

5. The fluffy bums

Jun 2, 2019
    Ottawa, Ontario
    16C and yes they do have a heat lamp to go and last night was their first time outside it went down to 9C and this morning when I went to go check on them they were all sleeping and happy

SueT likes this.
  6. Essentiallyokanaganmom

Essentiallyokanaganmom Songster

May 22, 2019
    Okanagan Valley
    Our 4.5 week olds are going out tonight just as soon as we find a way to latch the coop door closed. Its between 9 and 16c here overnight (20 to 30c in the day) , we are going to give them the heat lamp at night for the next week or until they are fully feathered.

tpatricco likes this.
  7. The fluffy bums

Jun 2, 2019
    Ottawa, Ontario
    That is my plan too, Thanks for all the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: