Chicks going outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PoultryGirly, Apr 7, 2012.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    At what age would it be best for chicks to go outside? The average temp at night is 35-40 F. right now. I know that is too cold for them because they are 4 weeks old. Maybe at 6 weeks?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Depends how insulated your coop is and if you can give them a brooder heat lamp? At 4 weeks they need 75-80 degs. By 6 weeks 65-70 degs.

3. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    My coop IS insulated on the ceiling, and it stays warm in there. My friend has the same type of chicks from the same batch and she has already put them outside and they are fine.

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    They will probably be fine in a couple weeks if you give them a heat lamp.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Unless the weather is in the 30's mine go in the coop. I hang a warmmer light in there and they have been fine. The dust and muck get to much here after 2 weeks. 2weeks is my limit inside. I love them but they really are pretty hardy. I put them seperate from my hens and other flock. Gloria Jean

6. Mine go out at 3 weeks.....but with a heat lamp if the temp is below 65 in the coop.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  7. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Mine are 4 weeks today. They're living like the big boys. Got a big coop and a large run all to themselves. they have been living outdoors at 3 weeks. The heat lamp was done before the third week was over. Put them out. They're happier outside.They will let you know if they are cold. Just watch and listen to them.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Other than backyarders, all chicks, by the millions are brooded out in barns. We always brood in an out building. As long as there is a "hot-spot" of adequate warmth for the chicks to warm themselves, they're just fine. The ambient air temps are virtually irrelevant.

Weaning the chicks off heat at week 4-6 is essential. No chick wants to be plunged from a 85 degree brooder to 30 degree nights without proper feathering and a period of acclimation and adjustment.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  9. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I have some six-week old chicks and we're building them an outdoor brooder on Monday. I just can't handle the smell anymore. They'll be right next to the larger coop and have their own little run. I'll probably put our slightly younger Silkies out there as well.

Having them outside and in sight of the larger hens should also help with integrating later (although I already let the babies free range around the hens. They've gotten very good at steering clear of the big ladies.)

10. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks everyone!
    The chicks are outside right now in their tub, but I'll bring then in before night time. Most of them are almost completely feathered, so I think they might be ready to go into the coop next week or even the middle of this week. My coop is insulated and the days are getting warmer so I think they'll be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by