Chicks Going to Bed VERY Early

mommiesrcool

Free Ranging
Jul 6, 2020
Dn
so yesterday at 5 pm I had to go somewhere and I wasn't going to be home in time to lock up my chicks which are 9 weeks old so I went to lock their coop run so that they couldn't get out or let in any critters well when I went to go look for them they were already on the roost bars and the sun doesn't go down till 7:20 and it was 5:00 so I thought that was very weird and they do that throughout the day do any of you know why they do this lol.

This is easy. Young chickens will behave a lot like kids - when they see an opportunity to occupy space usually commanded by the adults, they will take advantage of it.

I've noticed my youngsters occasionally like to wander about the run near dark after it clears of the adults. Just savoring forbidden fruit. I'm sure if chickens experience a sense of thrill, this is it.

This is easy. Young chickens will behave a lot like kids - when they see an opportunity to occupy space usually commanded by the adults, they will take advantage of it.

I've noticed my youngsters occasionally like to wander about the run near dark after it clears of the adults. Just savoring forbidden fruit. I'm sure if chickens experience a sense of thrill, this is it.
I don't have any other chickens it's just those two, lol but today when I went to give them some cabbage I found them laying down in their coop but I think that they go on the roost or to bed early because they like the inside and like you said when they see an opportunity to occupy space usually commanded by the adults, they will take advantage of it. I also think they just really like being on the roost throughout the day because I changed it a few weeks ago but I don't know the dimensions, and ever since I changed the roost they seemed to like it a lot more.

But don't expect this behavior to stay, about the teenage time, they will want to stay out later!

I have currently point of lay pullets, in one coop and a rooster in another, waiting for the pullets to start laying. The old man is alway on the roost when day is done, the pullets out as long as possible... I am planning on putting them together on Halloween... depending on the weather... trick or treat. haha

It will be interesting to see if he can get them to bed.

Mrs K

The image this conjured up made me laugh so hard. Just like, a bunch of juvenile dinosaur looking pullets going wild in a run🤣

Back
Top Bottom