Chicks Gone Wild!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by drdoolittle, Apr 22, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, I'm now up to 36 chicks in my dining room! I had gotten some from the feed store, and some from Ideal----that's all I was planning on having this year, but I let some broody hens sit on a few eggs (not thinking anything would really come from it) [​IMG], and now 5 of those have hatched with moree possibly to come! (I had to move the eggs from the nest box to the bator because the 1st 2 chicks that hatched got smothered or something by the mommies.) [​IMG]

I'm kinda' hoping that those are the only ones that will hatch, but also kinda' excited to see what else may come out of those eggs! [​IMG] So far I've got one yellow with black spots/stripes, one blue, one chipmunk, and 2 black!! Their daddy is one of 2 EE roos I have. [​IMG]

Oh, I forgot to add that I was informed by Hubby that I need to have all the chicks moved to the garage this weekend as an appraiser is coming out early next week to go through the house for a refinancing!!!!!! [​IMG] Now, if only I can get my son to clean up his mess in the garage so I have room for the giant stock tank that will be the chicks' new home.........................[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. sundayschicks

sundayschicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Elizabethton
    sounds like you need a hen house quick. my second one is in the making. need a box for the new ducks yet to come. good luck on the eggs in the bater::

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I went a little crazy just reading about your set up!

4. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Oh, it doesn't bother me at all. We have a coop outside, the chicks just won't be old enough to go out there for awhile. I have them in 3 separate brooders, and the smell is very minimal as I clean them out often. I just go into mode whenever a chick starts to hatch-----they're hatching at different times because unbeknownst to me, other hens were laying eggs in the nest box when the broodies would get off to eat! By the time I knew about it, it would have felt too much like infanticide to dispose of the extra eggs! [​IMG]

5. Nystra

Nystra Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Southern ME
    I am Jealous of all your babies! I know exactly your feeling on the broody hen surprise I've got a hen sitting on I dont even know how many eggs! due to hatch in about a week! I'm just glad we held off on getting a new batch of babies Cause we thought she only had a few eggs under her then i went poking (she was not impressed) and theres at least 8eggs under her... [​IMG] the boyfriend is in process of building a brooder now for these unexpected babies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by