Chicks got into layer feed!

Egg_cited

Songster
May 4, 2022
My chicken coop🐓
I left out of town for 2 days and once I came home all my 4-5 week old chicks were eating layer feed. I asked my neighbors to watch them wich no nothing about chickens other then to give them food and water. It has been tooken out but my question is will they be okay? They've been eating it for 2 days what should I do? I did put some acv in there water to boost there digestive system

So the main issue with chicks and layer feed is long term calcium buildup prior to laying. Starting them on layer from day 1, I would have to suggest against. But just 2 accidental days then getting them back on track with the proper stuff should be a non-issue.

My main concern would be if they have grit in their system - starter tends to be crumbles while layer tends to be pellets (of course, all brands are different though). Pellets to a chick who has never had grit may be limited in digestibility, so I would get them some grit or let them scratch in the dirt if they haven't done so already.

So the main issue with chicks and layer feed is long term calcium buildup prior to laying. Starting them on layer from day 1, I would have to suggest against. But just 2 accidental days then getting them back on track with the proper stuff should be a non-issue.

My main concern would be if they have grit in their system - starter tends to be crumbles while layer tends to be pellets (of course, all brands are different though). Pellets to a chick who has never had grit may be limited in digestibility, so I would get them some grit or let them scratch in the dirt if they haven't done so already.
Thank you yes they are all back on there starter. They are outside so they are getting grit on there own but I will provide them some just in case.

This was my question as well. My 7 week olds are getting into the big girls food. The chick feeder is on the floor of the coop, the layer pellets are hanging high enough (I thought) that they couldn't get it. Yesterday, I saw them all hopping up, grab a pellet, then land and eat. I plan to remove the layer pellets and have them all on chick feed, then add oyster shell for the adults.

This is why I never feed layer. I have neither the money nor the desire to feed according to age, gender, and production. Can’t keep ‘em out of each other’s feeders anyway. My new chicks confined to the brooder pen outside get one small bag of Starter. I think the smaller crumbles make it easier for them to learn to eat. When that’s gone, they get what the rest of the flock gets - roosters, assorted ages of chicks, layers and freeloaders. I feed either Grower or All Flock, whichever my feed store has in stock or whichever has the best freshness date. I provide oyster shell in a separate container for the layers. Oh, sure, the others think they have to run over and take a few nibbles of the oyster shell from time to time, but they almost immediately lose interest and don’t get enough to “hurt” them anyway.

I start mingling my chicks with the adults, under supervision, at 2 weeks. At 3 weeks the little portal doors are opened all day long and they are only locked in at night. By 4 weeks I have total and peaceful integration and we remove the brooder completely. So it’s to everyone’s benefit to have the chicks and adults on the same food.

Thanks, Blooie. I never even thought of getting grower or all flock feed. I'll have to start doing that. Even the littlest chick, at 2 weeks was eating whatever mama presented her. As I pick from my garden, I always toss them something. For the last month, this has been strawberries, fresh green peas and yellow squash. Baby has no trouble with this, as mom pecks off pieces for her and pecks until small enough. And, this little one catches bugs as they fly by, so why should I feed only crumbles (that get swept out of the feeder and onto the floor, making a mess).

Thanks, Blooie. I never even thought of getting grower or all flock feed. I'll have to start doing that. Even the littlest chick, at 2 weeks was eating whatever mama presented her. As I pick from my garden, I always toss them something. For the last month, this has been strawberries, fresh green peas and yellow squash. Baby has no trouble with this, as mom pecks off pieces for her and pecks until small enough. And, this little one catches bugs as they fly by, so why should I feed only crumbles (that get swept out of the feeder and onto the floor, making a mess).
My sentiments precisely!! Raise ‘em like Mom does!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom