chicks/grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shakecc, Jun 25, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    I just got back from the feedstore and bought Purina medicated chick starter. The helpful store clerk also sold me grit for "chicks" to mix in their feed. I am still alittle confused on the grit aspect (I am new to chickens). Could anyone offer some advice? I pick up my chicks tomorrow.

Thank you!

2. rockhound

rockhound Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Maine
    Hey, I get to answer a question. What a concept.

Chicks don't need grit unless they are getting treats. As long as they are just getting starter they don't need grit. Once they start digesting bugs and greens and such they will need the grit. (It's for their gizzards, to grind up the food)

3. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I bought some chick grit for my older babies today -because they will be getting some goodies now.What I had gotten ata nother store before was very fine crushed granite. This is regular sized and looks like they mixed oyster shell, pigeon grit and the bigger granite chips all together. Many folks just use play sand if they have or caged bird grit. I will look at the choices next time. I would have made a different choice. [​IMG]

4. mdoerge

mdoerge Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I was at a pet store yesterday and the caged bird grit contained oyster shell, which is a calcium source. I read that chicks shouldn't have calcium. Mine are only 4 days old, but when the weather is right, I'd like to take them outside for a short time. Do I need to give them grit if they go outside and eat for a short time? How do you feed them grit?

5. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    they will eat dirt which is kind of what grit is - only clean. and the caged bird grit is a blend of sand and crushed oyster shell- they would not eat enough for the calcium to be a problem- unless you give them the whole box-lol. you can "lightly salt" the food or offer it in a seperate dish but only a tiny amount. Sometimes babies overeat new things.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My 3-week old chicks love love love love LOVE grit. If I give them a little pile in a dish they'll peck at it for a long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by