1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks grooming?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cairopd1069, Dec 27, 2010.

1. cairopd1069

cairopd1069 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Cairo, Ga
    My 4 week old chicks have started "picking" at the underside of their wings. Is this normal, or should I look for a problem? All of them are doing it.

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    What type of "picking"? Is it vicious? I'd check for parasites etc. but otherwise I see no problem [​IMG]

3. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

normal. Unless of course they are doing it constantly, which might indicate some type of bugs. Otherwise, it's something all chickens do, mine all spend a great deal of the day grooming themselves....

4. cairopd1069

cairopd1069 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Cairo, Ga
    I think it is just grooming, the bedding is clean and it is real cold here. It is not aggressive picking. When will they lose the baby fuzz on their heads?

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Baby fuzz should all be gone by 6 weeks. The fuzz on their heads is last to go. [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Chicks pick at the feather sheaths as the feathers grow. Plus they groom the feathers and their fluff like any bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by