Chicks growing like CRAZY!! Questions. (PICS)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by epeloquin, Jun 4, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    These are pics of my girls enjoying one of their favorite treats. They will be six weeks old on Monday. They have been out in their coop for a little over two weeks now and they are doing great. I let them free range a lot (when I am there) and they have a big run/coop too. I guess I am just wondering if they look 'normal' for six weeks old. I have seen other people's birds at six week and my girls just seem like they are growing like crazy. Does growth vary with breeds? Does free ranging make a difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Slotred

Slotred Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    My Australorps will be six weeks old on Wednesday, and they aren't as mature as your chicks. I think they look great.

3. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    They are beautiful! My chicks are 3 weeks old and I cannot imagine them being that big in 3 weeks! I hope mine will be though. If they are as big as yours, they will give my dog a run for his money. lol

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    They do look pretty big for 6 weeks. You must have Super birds [​IMG] I think barred rocks develop pretty quick. It is nothing to be concerned about. I love the pics. - It is so much fun to feed them melons and watch them get down to the paper thin rind - love melon season for that reason alone!

5. dominiquetrix

dominiquetrix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Wow! What nice looking girls!

My husband and I always joke about how our girls (1 yr.) were always pretty and never went through that awkward "ugly" stage everyone else's seem to go through! LOL!

I would say yours skipped that stage as well. What brand of feed do you use? Any other secrets you'd like to share?

6. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    Your chickens look like they are the same size that ours were at 6 weeks. Ours are now 8 weeks, it is amazing how fast they grow. [​IMG]

7. epeloquin

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:Actually, I buy my feed from my local feed store. They have Blue Seal and then they have their own blends which is what I buy. They had recommended to me their "Game Bird Crumble". We have given them oats since they were two weeks old and they LOVE it. We gave them Superworms (like mealworms). I just started giving them yogurt last week, just once a week and, of course, watermelon. I do let them freerange a lot too so they find their own worms and bugs too.

8. epeloquin

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:Yeah, it is funny, I gave them some melon last week and they ate it down to the white so when they were doing other stuff I threw it on my "pre-compost" pile. They promptly ran over, pulled it off the pile and pecked at it for another half hour! They brought it right down to the rind. It's nice though, no waste!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by