Chicks growing up and need to change their food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TheOldHen, Sep 19, 2011.

1. TheOldHen

TheOldHen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Green Bay,WI
    My "ladies" are now starting their 15th week. After all my reading they should go to "laying "food around 18 weeks. I have about 20# of there starer/grower food which contains 18 protein left. Can I finish that first, mix it together with new food or just start with the new layer food in a few weeks?? I also give them gravel with there small treat of human food. Do i still need to do that? Thanks for the help

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There simply is no need to rush the layer feed. No need whatsoever.

Just keep them on what you have there, they will be just fine. Most don't really start until week 20 and then, they start in spurts and with tiny little pullet eggs. It takes awhile to get everything revved up.

Some folks being to "mix" in the layer at 19 weeks, but most chickens will eat anything, after a day. I've never seen one starve themselves.

3. Bill Paul

Bill Paul Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Fred's Hens :

There simply is no need to rush the layer feed. No need whatsoever.

Just keep them on what you have there, they will be just fine. Most don't really start until week 20 and then, they start in spurts and with tiny little pullet eggs. It takes awhile to get everything revved up.

Some folks being to "mix" in the layer at 19 weeks, but most chickens will eat anything, after a day. I've never seen one starve themselves.

Okay, so me and TheOldHen are in about the same boat, my girls are 15 weeks today. I have enough starter/grower left to get me through 19 or 20 weeks, so no need to switch to layer till that's gone, good deal. What about oyster shell, should I not start that until I see the first egg?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by