Chicks growth rate

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RRLaney, Nov 3, 2016.

1. RRLaney

RRLaney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2016
    Round Rock, TX
    So I am a first time chick owner. We have 2 ameracaunas that we're born on Oct. 12 and two barred rock chicks that were born on Oct. 19. They all seem happy and healthy. I just have a question out of curiousity and for learning purposes.
    The ameracaunas seem to be growing crazy fast, seems like they've almost doubled in size over the past 2 weeks, but the barred rocks are still tiny and don't look like they're growing much. I realize they are a week younger, but I was curious if there's a difference in size or growing rates between the two breeds? Or if maybe the barred rocks are just a week away from a growth spurt? Again, I'm not worried, they are all eating and drinking and very active. Just wondering what you chick raising experts think about their growing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. penny1960

penny1960 la la land awaits Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    More than likely it is the week difference in age
    and given a time they will all be one happy flock
    welcome to [​IMG] had not heard of you before
    have you had chickens before? or new to all of it

3. RRLaney

RRLaney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2016
    Round Rock, TX

Thank you! We've had chickens since May, so relatively new to it but I've learned so much since then. We have 13 older chickens, but we got all of those at 12 weeks or older, this is our first time with chicks.
    Glad to hear that it's not strange that the barred rocks are growing slower

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Difference in part due to slow feathering character of Barred Plymouth Rocks. With respect to weight the Rocks should pass the other soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by