chicks growth rate

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FoghornTim, Mar 4, 2015.

1. FoghornTim

FoghornTim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Grove City Ohio
    I am soon to venture into chicks, I do not have a coup built yet, how soon should I get that going once chicks are at my house? I am in Grove City Ohio, winter has not unlocked itself on us yet either, getting another blast now as I right this on March 4h. SO getting into the yard to pick the right spot and then the right design will be a bit slow to come, until it warms up more. Thanks in advance for your views,

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. julesisthehen

julesisthehen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    In my experience it usually takes them about 4-5 weeks to have mostly feathers and a little fuzz left, which is about the time they start flying out of or perching on the side of my brooder. If you get just hatched chicks that's probably how long you have until they get too big for a brooder, unless it is very large. Best of luck!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Seriously, I wouldn't get chicks until the coop is built......it took me a couple months to build my coop and it's in a building that was already there, the plans were already all worked out in great detail (that took more months of research), I used all new materials and have good building skills. Projects always take longer and cost more than you think they will.

But then, I'm a planner....I don't like to have to react to emergency situations, especially when it concerns the welfare of my animals. Chickens are much more fun if you have the proper sized housing for them, but it can be a nightmare if you have to scramble to keep them and you safe and comfortable.

I spent all summer clearing the existing large shed and building the coop enclosure, then got my mixed age flock....they stayed in the coop for another 2-3 weeks while I built the run and tweaked things in the coop that weren't working well for the birds and me maintaining them.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    aart has given you good advice.

I live in a much milder climate than you - Georgia. Started building our coop on already prepared ground one week before getting day old chicks. We were able to fininsh it by 5 weeks - but if had experienced rain or snow delays, would have had to let the girls run wild in my garage. They grow so fast, and by 5 weeks you will really need to be totally ready to move them out of even a spacious brooder.

Good luck with your plans.

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I go with the rule of they need a coop at three weeks old rule. They always grow faster than you think and I don't like to crowd them in the brooder. I wouldn't get chicks till the coop is at least close to being usable. You can always tweak the coop with the chicks in there as long as their safe and secure like you won't need roosts or nest boxes right away. It can be hard to wait to get you chicks but your life will be a lot easier if your prepared.

6. FoghornTim

FoghornTim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Grove City Ohio
    thanks everyone for your thoughts, I walked right past the chicks at Rural King in Circleville Ohio last weekend, my heart was saying go ahead and purchase, my head said no, build the coup first, so I will, feedback appreciated

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I agree. Start the coop NOW. That way, if you make good progress on it, you'll be more secure knowing that it's ALMOST done when you get those chicks. My coop that I expected to be done in 2 weekends took 10 weekends, and a lot of extra time in between to get it finished. It still needs some outside work. Chicks are incredibly messy. Their fine oily silty dander flies every where to cover every surface. If you have a coop, you can even brood them IN THE COOP!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by