1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks hatched by broody chicken?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shrader, May 8, 2008.

1. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    A little over a year ago, my flock of day-old chicks arrived.
    I raised them in the brooder until they were ready to go outside,
    now they live out back in the coop.

One of the hens has gone broody,
    so I bought some fertile eggs
    and set her up in her own little coop with a small yard.

Once the chicks hatch,
    do I take them away from her and put them in a brooder?
    Or will she raise them and keep them warm and everything?

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Most broodies will take good care of their babies. Just keep an eye on her to make sure she will be a good mommy. Good luck to you.

3. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have found that it is far less work and a lot more fun letting your broody hen do the work! I have also seen that the chicks hatched and raised by a broody are way more alert, streetwise and vigorous! If it is really cold I will have a heat lamp near her favourite nesting spot so she and the chicks can get warm and the chicks can get out from under her to feed and drink without getting chilled. But otherwise, unless she is not a good mother I would leave her to do her job!

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I prefer to let the hens do all the chick rearing work for me. I just assist them a bit. We have a problem with rats and other predators, so I bring mama and chicks inside the house at night in a pet carrier or small rabbit cage. All my adult hens are good with the babies, so I don't have to keep them separated.
    I also find the hen raised chicks appear to be more self assured, smarter and vigorous.
    I still handle them a lot, just so they are used to it and don't freak out too much when I need to handle them because they are not well or injured.
    I also make a point of pampering mama hen, by giving her alone time and giving her especially nutritious food. Mama has a tendency to get a little thin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by