Chicks hatched early

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blitz1027, Apr 10, 2011.

1. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Hey all I just wanted to ask is it unusual for eggs to hatch 3 days early? Day 21 is supposed to be this Tuesday but low and behold I check my incubator about noon and I have seven biddies. I have since had two more hatch though and they are beautiful. But seeing as how this is my first hatch I gotta know. Is it weird for them to hatch three days early?

2. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    i had one hatch 5 days early... its parents are both standard size chickens but he is the size of my bantam chicks that are 2 days older than him... he seems and acts fine????

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    If you have a spike in temperature it can cause them to hatch earlier, but they are fine.

4. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

I agree...if temps run high you can have some early hatches. That being said...we've had it happen just randomly with no spikes. We tend to have more problems with unabsorbed yolks, etc on those.

5. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Yeah a couple of them didn't have the yolk completely absorbed. I did have a couple other questions also. How long should I wait before throwing out the eggs that didn't hatch? I had a couple of D'uccle eggs in there but they haven't started to hatch yet and. How long should it take for a chick to break out of it's shell? I have one chick thats been trying to get out for the last couple hours. Should I leave it or should I help it?

6. chevgrl

chevgrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    Western Iowa
    You should give you chick the has pipped atleast 24 hrs to finish zipping... Birthing yourself is strenuous and often require a long nap [​IMG] i usually give my eggs 2 extra days to hatch but on the 22nd day I'll listen for a heartbeat with a stethoscope. or candle to see if there is any movement.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  7. Polskirock

Polskirock New Egg

Oct 12, 2011
    I had a bunch of eggs and most of them hatched early my incubator was set at 104. I looked it up andI read that if your incubator is to hot they will hatch early. In a hotter temp the just grow faster. All the chicks that hatched early a healthy and there growing and eating well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by