Chicks hatched... need advise

junkman56

Songster
7 Years
Sep 7, 2016
Northwestern PA. ( Tionesta )
My Coop
My Coop
I had a broody hen, so I put two fertile eggs in a small cage and put her in the cage with them. Well today I just noticed both eggs have hatched, I have the cage in the coop, this is my first time in this situation, what should I do now? There isn't a whole lot of room in the cage, should I move the hen and chicks to an old horse stall in the barn? And remove them from the cage,?Or should I remove the cage and leave the 3 of them in the coop with all the other hens? I have 14 chicks 5 was old in one side of the coop with a temporary wall up.
I need your help on this
Thank you
20201015_132743.jpg

20201015_132835.jpg

I have had great results leaving broody with the flock.
I would advise to turn them out with the flock and observe. You will know if momma has it covered or move to horse stall. Either way, chicks and momma need some room

I have had great results leaving broody with the flock.
I would advise to turn them out with the flock and observe. You will know if momma has it covered or move to horse stall. Either way, chicks and momma need some room
If i would move them to the horse stall, would that mess up the pecking order and reintroducing her to the flock?

If i would move them to the horse stall, would that mess up the pecking order and reintroducing her to the flock?
If you remove them for more than a day or two, they have pecking order issues to sort. With the chicks, it’s like starting fresh.

I got momma and the two chicks out of the cage, and left them inside of the coop.
She is going to be a good mom, when one of the other hens got to close to the chicks. She sure let them know to back off. She went right after them.
I hope all goes well tonight when they all come in for the night

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom