Chicks hatched, now what? Forgot to mention...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by azhenhouse, Apr 25, 2011.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    All the chicks hatched, and two feed store chicks added to the bunch. They are separated from the rest of the flock by a baby/gate fence with no top. Will this be enough to protect them from the rooster and hens, or do I need to put something over the top to keep the others from jumping in?

Edited to say:
    Sorry, it has been a long day, and I forgot to mention that they were hatched by our hen, Broody. She is with them. Will she be enough to protect them from the others, or do I still need to put a cover over their enclosure?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  2. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    I know my hens would jump that fence and would knock over the heat lamp and eat their food. If it was me I'd cover it.

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I would put something on top [​IMG]

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    do you have them in a brooder under a light?? usually when they hatch you need to keep them warm and safe, they are very vulnerable as chicks and a bigger hen or rooster will pick them up and toss them around like nothing. They do need to be separate from the bigger birds, and in a contained area that is warm and dry and free from drafts.

5. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Bumping myself back to the top with the new information.

6. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    mmmm - I think I'd still cover it at least for a little while unless you know your hens pretty well. They could still get cranky and hop the fence and could get injured during the scuffle of mom chasing the offender off. That's just me though. If you know your hens/roo are pretty mellow or have been good so far - you may be OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by