Chicks hatched one with problems...Pic included.. Help needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kittykat2003uk, Sep 12, 2011.

1. kittykat2003uk

kittykat2003uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    Here we go again.

The next batch of chicks have hatched at my partners place. A load of silver spangles (from his own family of 4 hens and cockerel) and also 12 Fresians that we brought from Wernlas. A few of those were clear so they were dumped. One chick could stand and was getting weaker (so i was told my other half "dealt" with it before i went up there [​IMG] )

But we have one. It is not like the other one i had. He won't put any weight on his leg and just hops around. So i brought him and a few buddies back (i swore i was going to have no more chicks in my dining room [​IMG] ) Well that didnt happen did it!

Piccy of him/her below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. larsonll

larsonll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    What is happening so far? Please update!

3. Lilredhippie

Lilredhippie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2008
    Central Missouri
    I keep a medium clear tote, with a small waterer, food dish and heat lamp and bedding ready when I hatch. There always seems to be a special needs chick or turkey. When one makes its problem known, I put it and a companion, usually a smaller bird, in the CICU or TICU. Most have recovered nicely, but they usually seem to be lagging behind its hatch mates.
    But, once they look stable and big enough to fend for themselves, I reintroduce them to the larger temporary brooder or slip them into the big brooder when I transfer everyone. That way, in the confusion of being transefered the birds that have been in the ICU are rarely picked on. I have lost very few special needs birds. And I have had a lot of weebles that wobbled and fell down.

Good luck. That is a lovely chick. [​IMG]

4. kittykat2003uk

kittykat2003uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    The chick is still the same... hopping around everywhere

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by