Chicks hatched ubder my broody... Now what??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TMNfarm, Nov 27, 2012.

1. TMNfarm

TMNfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Northern MN
    I have two broody hens (BO's), sitting on 6 eggs each. The first one (Prim), had her eggs hatch yesterday and this morning. Six healthy chicks!!! My question is, now what?? She is keeping them nice and warm, and they poke their heads out occasionally. I put the hens in their own brooder boxes about a week ago. I put chick starter in Prim's box this morning. I haven't seen the chicks try to go to the water. Will their mom teach them that? Do I need to put the heat lamp on or will that overheat Prim??

Sorry for all the questions... My first hatch and I want to make sure I don't lose them now that they're here!!

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    As long as the mother and chicks have safe and easy access to food and water, the mother will do the rest.
    No need to add heat.

Chicks can survive 3 days without food and water. By then, the mother should introduce them to food and water.

3. TMNfarm

TMNfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Northern MN
    Thank you! I knew they could go a day or two, but I would have been frantic by day three. The last one just hatched this morning, so I suppose she's still keeping them close. They are in a heated building, so they aren't outside where it is really cold. There is food and water in the brooder box, so I guess I'm all set. Nothing to do now but sit and watch!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by