chicks hatched yesterday -more due 22nd, can they live together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shellyga, Dec 20, 2010.

1. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    I have 7 chicks that hatched in the past two days.. shewww I am exhausted...[​IMG] {one more pip in the remaining 4 eggs} - my question is this:

I have 31 more due to start hatching on the 22nd. since it seems to take awhile, these first ones could be as much as 5 days older..[​IMG] I know.. not much.. but can both sets of chicks go into the same brooder? I do have the option of setting up a second brooder since I am using a dog carrier that we had on hand.

I KNOW I will be using a second crate once they get a little growth on them just for the extra room.. just want to be prepared.

first chick hatched.. seven hours older that hatchmates

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    I have mixed hatches together without any problems, after they are a few days old - otherwise the older ones just pick on them.
  3. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    I have been brooding 3 bcm's that are now 7 weeks old with 2 lav orp's that are now 6 weeks old. They have been together since the lav orp's were about 1-2 days old. They are 7-9 days apart in age. I think you should be okay.
  4. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    I saw a recent post of a person that put one day old with 3 week olds and they were fine.
  5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I've had no experience with hatching, but I've seen many BYCers mixing hatches that were only a matter of DAYS in age difference.
  6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Myself, I will wait till a hatchling is at least 3 days old before introducing them to a slightly older hatch. They need to be up & running around good, eating & drinking. After 3-4 days I will put them in a brooder pen with chicks no more than 7-8 days older. Sometimes if you combine them too early, the youngest will get picked on, usually on the feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by