chicks hatched yesterday -more due 22nd, can they live together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shellyga, Dec 20, 2010.

1. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I have 7 chicks that hatched in the past two days.. shewww I am exhausted...[​IMG] {one more pip in the remaining 4 eggs} - my question is this:

I have 31 more due to start hatching on the 22nd. since it seems to take awhile, these first ones could be as much as 5 days older..[​IMG] I know.. not much.. but can both sets of chicks go into the same brooder? I do have the option of setting up a second brooder since I am using a dog carrier that we had on hand.

I KNOW I will be using a second crate once they get a little growth on them just for the extra room.. just want to be prepared.

[​IMG]

first chick hatched.. seven hours older that hatchmates
    [​IMG]

Shelly

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have mixed hatches together without any problems, after they are a few days old - otherwise the older ones just pick on them.

3. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    I have been brooding 3 bcm's that are now 7 weeks old with 2 lav orp's that are now 6 weeks old. They have been together since the lav orp's were about 1-2 days old. They are 7-9 days apart in age. I think you should be okay.
    Cathryn

4. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    I saw a recent post of a person that put one day old with 3 week olds and they were fine.

5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:Ditto.
    I've had no experience with hatching, but I've seen many BYCers mixing hatches that were only a matter of DAYS in age difference.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Myself, I will wait till a hatchling is at least 3 days old before introducing them to a slightly older hatch. They need to be up & running around good, eating & drinking. After 3-4 days I will put them in a brooder pen with chicks no more than 7-8 days older. Sometimes if you combine them too early, the youngest will get picked on, usually on the feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by