chicks hatching and lots of problems???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by caral07, Jul 20, 2010.

1. caral07

caral07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    About 5:00am monday morning my chick hatched. It was in a styorfoam incabater with a wire floor. The incabator had very sucessful hatching rates.It drankwater in huge gullps, and it seemed to strugle getting it down.It stayed warm in 95 to 100 degress.It ran around and was very active.This morning it was just sleeping. It sleept till 2:00pm. Right efore it dyed I was holding it and it opened its eyes. Then it dyed:hitThe other eggs are in the incabator and the eggs are totally black except thourgh the air pocket. I hope they will hatch. Anyone have advice,facts,or storys. P.S. I noticed gray spot between the black spot(baby chick) and the air pocket. Is that the space the chick has to fill up before hatching. It is day 23 and the one that died came on day 20. PLEASE HEP ME!!!1[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Sometimes they will have an unnoticable defect that won't effect them for a day or two.

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    You said it was drinking, but was it eating?

4. caral07

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    no

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    It happens unfortunately. I"ve had them live up to a week. Eating and drinking them just drop dead. ONe actually started bleeding from it's vent just out of the blue. It's natures way of weeding out the weak. I'm sorry to hear of your loss but lets hope all the rest are fine.

6. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Sorry for your loss, It is horrible feeling so helpless. I hope that the rest hatch for you.

7. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I leave my chicks in the bator for the 1st 48 hrs. At that point I move all of the hatched chicks together(they aren't good solitary creatures) into the brooder and allow the remainder(if any are left) to hatch out. Just trying to help for next time. Sorry about your little chick.[​IMG]

8. caral07

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    Thanks all you guys.

9. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    What was your humidity for the hatch? Did the rest pip/hatch?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by