1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Chicks hatching before I expected - what do I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilacLes, Jul 24, 2013.

1. LilacLes

LilacLes In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2012
    Hi all,

I'm caught a little off-guard by the sudden (to me) hatching of some eggs. I've had a hen sitting on them for a few weeks, and I'm a little unprepared. She's in a raised box, so my questions:

1. What do I do about the hatching babies who are in the raised bed? Do I move them? They should be with the mom, right?

2. Should I move the whole lot of them? The momma would be very unhappy about being handled like that.

I guess those are my main questions. I thought I had another week to prepare! That would have been really nice especially considering we just got a shipment of chicks from MPC!

Thanks!

2. LilacLes

LilacLes In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2012
    ... no one has any advice?

3. Zootopia

Zootopia Songster

Dec 13, 2011
    Abilene, Texas
    Got a med or large dog crate? Or even just a loop of chicken wire? Put her and the chicks somewhere quiet , they dont need much room for now, they arent going far. A jar lid with some chick starter and water (careful if you dont have something shallow put marbles or small rocks in it to keep chicks from drowning. You can leave them foe a week or so if need be. That should be plenty of time to set up a broody pen for her to safely raise them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by