Chicks & hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lyndseymaeer, Apr 26, 2017.

1. lyndseymaeer

lyndseymaeer Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    HELP PLEASE!!!
    Hi I have 4 polish frizzles in an incubator they have hatched over yesterday and today, I also have 2 silkie eggs one hasn't got any signs of peeping on it but the other one has a tiny peep, but out of the air bag area, they are due today, I'm worried about leaving chicks in for to long but worried if I open incubator to get them out I rest strink wrapping the Silkies what would anyone advise please. Thank you for reading.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If your humidity in your incubator is up past 65%, go ahead and pull them out if you wish. A balled up wet paper towel or clean sponge can be wet and slid in there to help recoup any lost humidity. I open my bator FREQUENTLY during hatch. No ill effects, I keep my humidity up.

People will tell you they are fine for 48-72 hours in the bator because they are living off the yolk. It's true, mostly they will "survive" for that long. I'm one of those people that have to be argumentative. I can survive a couple days without food after a big meal too. Doesn't mean I want to. Plus I believe hydration is important. Most all of my chicks are drinking in the first 24 hours from hatch. Food is more eh. Some within the first 24, many not until day 2.

So, pull them out when it's comfortable for you, just keep humidity up when you do. And congrats on the hatchers.

:welcome

3. lyndseymaeer

Mar 25, 2017
    Thank you for you helpful advise, my humidity is 75 at the moment cause the last chick hatch few hours ago, i'st more the 2 that was born yesterday especially the older one it's pecking round like it's hungry it is pecking the condensation off the door of the incubator, would it be best to leave the 2 that hatched today in, but would mean opening the incubator again tomorrow thanks.

4. lyndseymaeer

Mar 25, 2017
    Also are Silkies later hatches just seems strange all the polish frizzles have hatch but the 2 Silkies still haven't thanks.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

If you have a brooder with one end warmed above 95F you can place all of them together, just put them under your heat source. Most of mine are just 2-3 hours old when I move them. Rarely do I leave them in more than 12 hours and those are night hatchers or if I have a weaker chick.

Most Bantam breeds tend to fall under early rather than late. My silkies are always early or on time. What day of incubation are you on?

6. lyndseymaeer

Mar 25, 2017
    Thank you, today is day 21 one has a tiny peep hole but not in the sack area just a bit lower and I can't see anything on the other one thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by