Chicks Hatching in 10 Days... Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alyxl02, Jan 25, 2014.

1. alyxl02

alyxl02 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Hi all,

I have chicks hatching in 10 days and I'm not quite sure what to do.

Should I be there in the coop for when they hatch and if so, how do I know when they'll hatch?

Should they have feathers all over them or partly covered?

What do I do with them once they hatch... I have a nice large plastic box where I'm going to put mama chicken and her chicks in for the first couple of weeks. I have some pine shavings so should I put some in with the chicks and mama chicken. When do I take them out or do I take mama out a few days before I let them out and do I really need a heat light in there if mamas in there or in this hot summer weather?

Also when should I let the chicks out to learn from their mother?

Thanks,
    alyxl02

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The momma hen with take care of everything. Well, you'll need to have water and chick starter nearby. If you want you can separate the mother and chicks from the rest of the flock when they hatch. It depends on how the other hens respond to them and how protective the momma hen is of them if that's even needed.

They'll stay under/with the mother for a day or two before venturing out. Make sure you have ramps for them because without them they will jump big distances without fear and can hurt themselves. When they need to warm up they go back under the mother. She'll lay down in the run for them if they need to warm up.

3. alyxl02

alyxl02 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Oh thanks:) that really helped!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by