Chicks Hatching Out - so cute

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by posey, Apr 4, 2012.

1. posey

posey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    [​IMG]Just had to share ~ Our Gabriella (Gabby for short) went broody for the first time. She is a mix of Welsummer (her mama) and Giant Cochin (her papa) and is lovely and sweet. She is not even a year old yet herself. Gabby hatched out last July 1st along with 3 other chicks who were all under our broody Australorp, Vera.

Once we realized that Gabriella wanted to be broody, I purchased hatching eggs from a breeder who lives about 2 hours away.
    That night we put 10 eggs under Gabby, 6 Wheaten Marans and 6 Barnevelders. Gabby has been a good broody mama and has stayed on her nest and cared for the eggs.

Last night was day 21 and so we moved mama and the eggs into the house and set her up in a big rubber water tub. When I was moving the eggs I could hear the chicks (inside the eggs) chirping to their Mama. Oh my gosh it was so cute! Well Mama wasn’t too happy about her new diggs so I covered the top of the tub with a beach towel and she settled right down.

Today is April 4th and it is hatching day! We already have 3 chicks that have hatched out, 1 baby Maran and 2 Barnevelders. They are so cute and what a Simple Joy to see! Mama is still on the eggs so I can’t see what is going on or if there are more babies that have hatched out under all her feathers. I guess I will just have to be patient and wait until she stands up to see how many we have. I will keep you posted!

Posey

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Oh my goodness that is the cutest picture EVER!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by