Chicks hatching!! So excited! When should I remove from incubator?

laurenk16

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
I am SO EXCITED!! I am hatching eggs in my 6th-grade classroom. As you can see in the photos, I had 3 hatch overnight, 1 hatch just now, and several others have pipped. The 3 that hatched over night are getting pretty dry and fluffy already. Should I remove them from the incubator yet? I do not want to harm the chicks that have pipped by opening the incubator but I also read to remove the chicks when fluffy. I leave school around 3:50 and won't be back until tomorrow morning so I also want to make sure I do the right thing for the chicks. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_7689.jpg
    IMG_7689.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7688.jpg
    IMG_7688.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7687.jpg
    IMG_7687.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7692.jpg
    IMG_7692.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7693.jpg
    IMG_7693.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7694.jpg
    IMG_7694.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 8
I would leave the chicks inside until the others have hatched. They've absorbed their yolks, so they don't need any food or water right away.

I hope your hatch went well. I had 19 eggs in the incubator. I found that the humidity dropped for only a few seconds to remove eggshells and dry chicks. In my environment, they took about 6-8 hours to get dry and "fluffy looking." I slipped eggshells out when they got knocked close to the edge of the incubator. There was a lot of traffic even with only 4-5 chicks hatched! They were not quite as frantic for space with shells out. At one point there were 10 chicks at once. They would have hardly had any room to stand if the big pieces of eggshell weren't removed. Even with the incubator open for about a minute to get the dry chicks out, the temp and humidity were recovered in less than two minutes.

Back
Top Bottom