chicks hatching with issues. Help

Country Living Farm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Florida
Ok, I have been hatching for a while and now for some reason, they are hatching with the inside on the outside, full yolk on the outside, head way to big for body, breast not fully closed.... Does anyone have any suggestions? Is the parent stock not gettingthe right supplements, should I give the hens something extra?

Tks

Wow! That's awful. What are you feeding your hens?
Are the hens hatching the eggs or are you using an incubator? If so, what kind?

I am just a newbie, but I wonder about your breeding birds. Could it be you need some new unrelated birds? Maybe genetically they are to close and that is the prob.

I had that happen on a test hatch I ran for someone...Send a pm or something if you find the answer... I had the same question last month.

I'd be questioning my feed and my ROO. But really it smacks of either genetics or a serious B deficiency, possibly D as well... you're lacking something in that feed. In the "Read Me on Hatching " links there is a link to a list of what vitamin deficiences cause what specific problems. I'd go over that and seriously modify my feeding program. If that doesn't change things consider changing out my Roo and if that didn't do that I'd also out cross and remove my layers.

I have hatched about 200 eggs from the same chickens wiht no problems. Only this hatch has given me problems. Now that I sit back and thing about it, the eggs are in a bator I made. That might be the problem.

barnie.gif

Running significantly too cool or too hot and lying to you about it (and sometimes bators do) is kind of a homemade thing. Good luck finding the problem.

You may also have gotten a bad few bags of feed if you buy bulk.

Or your roo may be having an issue - which can happen at any age unfortunately.

Recalibrate your thermometers and try again. If that fixes it it was your temps. If they still warp on you, then it could be feed or the roo.

Back
Top Bottom