Chicks hatching

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erin lynn, Oct 18, 2016.

1. erin lynn

erin lynn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2016
    Aransas Pass Texas
    I hatched a chick this morning and I think it has a belly button deformity I don't think it closed all the way what can I do? [​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

3. erin lynn

Oct 2, 2016
    Aransas Pass Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

It does look like possible omphalitis to me. In the link I posted earlier, @Sally Sunshine describes several treatment approaches.

Good luck with your little one. S/he is very cute!

5. erin lynn

Oct 2, 2016
    Aransas Pass Texas
    Are my other eggs contaminated now?

6. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    The chick's belly doesn't appear to be distended, or green, which is a common sign of omphalitis (aka mushy chick disease)
    Unhealed navels and bleeding can be caused by other factors, such as too-high incubation temperature. Did your baby hatch earlier than 21 days? Omphalitis is more common in my experience in chicks born after day 22.
    Make sure the chick is in a clean area to prevent additional infection to the navel. I would suggest removing it from the incubator (which can be just loaded in bacteria) and placing it in a clean warm brooder by itself (to prevent other babies picking on the wound) with paper towels changed regularly. Put some antibiotic cream on the wound, or some Vetericyn spray. Offer it food and water just like you would a normal chick. The navel will heal close on its own within a few days if there's no infection involved, and it can be reintroduced to its hatchmates. Good luck with your baby! Let us know how it goes :)

7. erin lynn

Oct 2, 2016
    Aransas Pass Texas
    Yes it hatched one day early and other eggs have not yet hatched so that's why I worried about contamination

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Hi I am sorry about your chick, did you calibrate thermometers? This looks like an assisted hatch. High temps at the end can cause this, but this does not appear to be that. I do not see this as osteo. please use this guide so you dont kill chicks picking at them or helping them to hatch. Assisted Hatching Guide Click HERE

SEE THIS FOR PROPER CARE. NAVELS She HATCHED! But what's with her butt? post #25012

At this point the only thing you can do is offer some water soluble antibiotics, some probotics and vits in the water along with electrolytes.
    Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks post #3876 DO NOT ASPIRATE chick you can use a qtip dipped in the solution and just put in beak.
    Chick and Chicken Vitamins HAVE SOME ON HAND post #61039

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    adding very rare is it that the chick will accidentally break its own yolk in the egg during hatch. typically these were malpositions. either way treatment is as that link suggests. Good luck Erin [​IMG]

10. erin lynn

Oct 2, 2016
    Aransas Pass Texas
    I did not assist but a couple of times the temp got to 104 during the night it's just a homemade incubator I was just trying to get some morechens from my eggs idk I guess I messed up sucks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by