Chicks have JUST arrived, and I have a few questions. Help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by backyardfarm, Jun 21, 2010.

1. backyardfarm

backyardfarm New Egg

Jun 20, 2010
    A bunch of them are quite floppy and limp, is that okay?
    Then they started to lie down with their head and neck on the ground, are they supposed to do that?

I was wondering if they were just doing these things because they were tiered from their long trip.

2. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I am no expert, but mine were all up and peeping... they were all ready to eat and drink, and explore.

How long were yours in transit?

Edit:
    and for the laying down, when they sleep, its scary sometimes, I came in and one of them looked like it got hit by a car. it was laying on its side with its foot out to the side. upon closer inspection, she hopped up and peeped at me for waking her up [​IMG]
    they do sleep in funky weird positions.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Sorry, I have no experience with shipped chicks, but that does sound worrisome. Try putting this the emergencies thread to see if you can get a quick response from someone who does have experience. Good luck! I hope your chicks are all right.

4. backyardfarm

backyardfarm New Egg

Jun 20, 2010
    Quote:I think for about 2 days. I wouldn't want to be in box for that long!

5. backyardfarm

backyardfarm New Egg

Jun 20, 2010
    Okay, they are relaxing in some crazy positions! Thanks for your help!

6. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    2 or 3 days is normal, that is actually a pretty short trip for them.
    I agree with the previous poster, try posting this in emergencies and try for a response from a more experienced poster.

Wish I could help you more,

7. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Just like other babies, they get sleepy quickly. The most important thing to keep track of is if they are drinking water, then watch to see if they eat. If they are all doing those two things, they are probably just playing hard & dropping to sleep. Mine would actually wobble & fall over. I thought they were sick or something, so when I poked one, she jumped up and seemed suprised...

I'm glad you are spending enough time with them that you are noticing these little differences in their posture. Good luck, and post some pictures when you can.
    [​IMG]

8. Karen_at_LittleBrook

Karen_at_LittleBrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Rome, NY
    Floppy and limp would worry me! [​IMG] Heat, beak dipping til they are drinking on their own and chick starter should perk them up. I would use electrolytes in their water or a bit of sugar to give them a boost if they still seem weak. After two days shipping they should be more interested in water and food than sleeping~
    Good luck with your new babies!

9. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    your chicks are fine. I get chicks shipped offline a lot. All the chicks Ive ever had lay down in a funny way.

10. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    When I got mine I mixed 2 tbl spoons of sugar into luke warm Quart waterer. I gave them this for 2-3 days! I would give them fresh sugar water every morning. If the sugar satys in the waterer too long it can sour like iced tea does! This will give them extra energy and will make them want to eat a lil more. If you can try and give them some finely chopped soft scrambled egg! or you can give them a lil chick starter mixed with warm water (like Oat meal ) This should help. Did you dip their beaks in the waterer? This is an important step when first getting them. I just hold them and dip their beak into the waterer twice as soon as i remove them from the box! Then keep an eye on them and make sure they know where it is. As long as 2-3 are drinking then the rest will find it! I will also sprinkle a lil feed on the floor around the feeder to get their attention. They will find the feed soon too! as for the sleeping.... It can and will be scary how they sleep!!!!! As long as they are eating and drinking they should settle in soon! Sleeping positions will be funny/scary for a while!

Good Luck and God Bless!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by