Chicks Have Mites !!!!!PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Disco Hen, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Disco Hen

Disco Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    We have 4 frizzle chicks right now. On their head we have seen skinny mite crawling around, and sucking on their blood!!!!! We have also noticed that there is LOTS of eggs! The mites are whitish yellow. What should we do????? Does anyone know what kind of mites they are????? PLEASE HELP!!!

2. Disco Hen

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    PLEASE HELP!

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

At Home Depot or any garden center, you'll find Garden Dust. Some of these products are basically the chemical Sevin. Others are permethrin based. I'd likely begin with dusting each chicken, focusing on their vent area, under the wings, head, neck and so forth. Follow up with another treatment in 8-10 days. Eggs hatch bringing a new "crop" of infestation that need to be killed.

I'd also clean their living area and treat it as well.

4. Disco Hen

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    Thank you! The only thing is that only the chicks have it, none of the other chickens do. And it is only on the top of their head.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Put a little sevin dust on your fingers and rub it gently into their heads. Avoid the eyes and nostrils with the dust.

6. Disco Hen

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    Ok ill try

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by