1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks have moved into the coop!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by paceysgl5, Mar 22, 2011.

1. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    Chicks have moved into the coop!!
    Here they are checking the place out (spare chain is for a 2nd heat lamp). We have a camera in here to remotely check on them, which I do about once per hour all day longÂ…hehe
    Bye-bye brooder (IE: HELLO CLEAN BASEMENT!!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Very nice! And you should be excited about the clean basement... I know I was when I moved 10 chicks + mother hen out in the hen house. [​IMG]

I love the assortment of chicks btw. Pretty colors.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow! It looks like you kept yours inside for quite a while! Cograts on reclaiming your house! [​IMG] Looks like they're already enjoying their new space. You've got some prettty chicks there [​IMG]

4. remington3006

remington3006 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    how old are they

5. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Awesome - I love that they're already checking out the roosts. One question - in your brooder - how were you able to catch the chicks? It seems awful long and mine still tend to run away when it comes to picking them up.

6. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I have 23 chicks and they are two weeks and I'm already wanting them outside....looks like you kept them inside a long time, but looks like they love thier new home! So cute:0)

7. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    Thanks for the comments!! The older ones are 41 days old today, 2 welsummers are 34 days old, and 4 silkie/mixes are 31 days old!

Regarding the long brooder - LOL!! DH has to stand at one end and we have to get them together...(both ends open). But it's still not easy!!

No more brooders inside the house! Seriously...I'm soooo happy to have our basement back. Also, somehow I have pine shavings in my office at WORK, so I'm also happy to not be tracking that stuff around...

EDIT: We had them inside for a total of 5 weeks. Since we had the different ages in there, we had to wait until 1) coop was finished, 2) the babies in the group got a little bigger and more feathers...

We won't have it heated for much longer, maybe 2 or so weeks, but it's still COLD at night (20's) so we need it for now.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  8. srolle1lsu

srolle1lsu Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, Ut
    congratulations on getting your pool table back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by