1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks have shipped.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FreddyC, Jan 27, 2015.

1. FreddyC

FreddyC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2014
    Well they should be here on Friday according to Ideal Poultry. Looking forward to it. [​IMG]

2. Kadu

Kadu Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    Good luck!!!! Post some pictures =D

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Mine too! Also from Ideal ;)
    What did you order?

4. FreddyC

Mar 18, 2014
    5 white Leghorns and 5 Black Sex Links.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ooh, you're going to have lots of eggs from them!
    I just got back from picking mine up from the PO. I wasn't expecting them until tomorrow! But, I'm happy they didn't have to spend that extra day in the mail. Everyone was alive and well, they're currently in the brooder slinging their crumbles all over the place!

Are you getting any packing peanuts in your order? I didn't get any, and I wanted some to grow out for the freezer :(

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  6. FreddyC

Mar 18, 2014
    My chicks got here today all alive and well. However I was surprised that there was 15 yes 15 other chicks in the box with mine. They have a red tint to them. Are they RIR's? did they just add some off breed to keep them warm I am confused. Can someone give me an explanation plz?

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The extras are "packing peanuts" - extra chicks that are used to fill up the box and provide extra warmth, etc during shipping (and to help the hatchery rid themselves of extra chicks). Many times the freebies turn out to be male, but it is not unheard of to get pullets as packing peanuts. If you post a photo we *may* be able to ID them, but it may be a few weeks before we are able to nail down the breed for you.

8. FreddyC

Mar 18, 2014
    Will do. Thanks. You guys are great. Im not new to chickens as this is my third new flock. I have never ordered from a hatchery before just local breeders so this packing peanuts is new to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by