Chicks have watery poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Laurensaha, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Laurensaha

Laurensaha Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    Hi y'all. I have 5 6week old chicks (2 ameraucanas and 3 rir) and they have pretty frequent watery poops. They're still in their brooder and I have turned the heat lamp off during the day so I know the temp is steady at about 70° if not a little lower. What could be causing their watery poop? They have pine shavings in the brooder and I add electrolytes to their water and I just started adding a probiotic to the water as well. Any ideas?? Any help is appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Have they been wormed? I've heard if your chicks poo is watery, It could mean the have worms. That's what our chickens had. I don't really know for sure
    sorry, I hope this helps!

3. Laurensaha

Laurensaha Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017

They haven't been wormed however I've occasionally dropped acv in their water. But thanks for the response!

4. yellowsummer

yellowsummer New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    Diatomaceous earth is a natural dewormer. Raw pumpkin seeds are too for when they're older. I cut a pumpkin in half and they eat the seeds.
    I never used a chemical dewormer and luckily I've been good for 5 years of keeping chickens. I gave mine a good amount of probiotics as chicks and give them some occasionally as adults. Can buy from feed stores, drug stores (for people is ok) and I'll give them yogurt or kefir too as an occasional treat. Probiotics help keep away bad bacteria and boost the immune system. You can also buy electrolytes to put in their water. Will help with hydration if needed from the runny poo. Best wishes!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by