chicks haven't crossed the road but.......

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chooniecat, May 18, 2010.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I have 9 10week old black australorps(well, actually 2 are delawares I wasn't supposed to get) and in the 7+ yrs. I have had chickens this bunch is the first to not remember getting in serious trouble for getting near road. yesterday was the 1st time they actually went INTO the road after previous incidents of just getting near it. I am sure neighbors think I am insane screaming and rattling things to get the chicks back towards barn.unfortunately the human house is only 50' from road and the chick shed is appx. 75' from road(they have access to six acres of pasture though) I have 10 older hens/pullets that seemed to think it was a good idea and were actually headed the same way as chicks. am going to try turning them loose a bit later(have been turning loose appx. 1pm). I swear they seem smart enough to have learned that if they go near road they get rewarded with oatmeal(by barn where I've just chased them). so maybe no more rewards(its SUPPOSED to be encouragement to stay near barn)

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Crowing

Apr 19, 2009
    Or maybe put up a fence. [​IMG]

3. chooniecat

chooniecat Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    not a possibility now after repairing horse fence and etc. etc for animals. they were headed that way again and I called and rattled and now they're dirt bathing under some trees. only turn them loose when I am home so its just going to be a lot of chicken-sitting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by