Chicks & Hay question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by toddntiff, Aug 25, 2008.

1. toddntiff

toddntiff Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    New Mexico
    I did a search but didn't find any answers directly. Can I put hay in their coop? And what about alfalfa? Just want to be sure!
    Thanks guys!

2. TexasJoe

TexasJoe Taking a break

Mar 3, 2008
    Yup on both. Chickens LOVE alfalfa, i grow it and clover for my flocks [​IMG]

Be careful with the hay, though. If you continue to layer up more and more hay as the chicken foul it up, the lower layers will hold moisture, mold, SMELL TERRIBLE, and MUCH worse. If you plan on using this method (called "Deep layer" method), make sure to use something like StallDry (food grade DE) to keep the moisture and mites/flies to a minimum.

3. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    For the first week or so, you should use burlap, so they don't try to eat the hay. As soon as they know what's food and what's not, go ahead and use hay.

4. buc

buc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    yep too both, however, the alfalfa will not make that good of bedding as they will eat off the leaves and leave the stalk.

I suggest a bale of straw ( that is the stalks of wheat) it makes for a better bed.

5. toddntiff

toddntiff Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    New Mexico
    Perfect! I haven't done anything on a large scale, just giving it to the chicks to introduce new things. We let them out in their run on Wednesday and I'm trying to "prepare" them for the great outdoors! I am going to use the deep litter method and will plan to get the DE tomorrow at the feed store! (making sure of course that it's food grade!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by