Chick's Head Severely Pecked

muffhen

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
We are hatching lots of chicks, but this one has been pecked badly on the right side of its face under to the left of its eye. I am not sure how to help it, or if I will have to put it down. It is walking and peeping fine, but the wound is bad. What do I do?

Keep it separate from the other chicks so they don't peck the wound. Chickens go for wounds, they can't help themselves. Put some Blu cote or antibiotic cream on the wound. If you can, give the chick a little vitamin+mineral supplement in it's water and some scrambled egg to give it a boost. Good luck!

right now it is seperated from the others with a hand warmer packet. thank you so much!

I hope it recovers quickly!
fl.gif
Such a pretty little thing. Let us know how it goes.

very tired as it's only a day old, but I think I know how it started: if it loses balance, it kicks its head, so maybe its nails cut its head and over time it kept scratching its head accidentally, causing the wound to get bigger. right now, the chick is sleeping on its heating pad. it seems okay.

thanks!

Last edited:
Poor baby! She's so cute. I think you should cover or clip her toenails if she scratching herself in the face. I've seen chicks scratch themselves in the eye while they are still clumsy, but nothing like this. I'll see if I can find something on toe nail clipping...
It seems the general opinion is to not cut their nails if you can help it. Can you cover it with something sticky? I covered a chick's toes with a band aid once after we accidentally caught it in the door. Chick wasn't happy, but he walked around fine and it gave him a distraction LOL.

Last edited:
Is the poor thing any better?

The last picture looks really bad. She looks weak. Maybe the heat is making her drowsy and that is what I'm seeing.

Could you make little chick shoes like you would for a human baby who is scratching their face up? Maybe make her a tiny little bandage to cover? I would apply ointment to it to promote healing.. Not sure on the directions for that for chicks this age - but worth looking into.

You need to get something on that would asap - like Blue Kote, or triple antibiotic ointment (WITHOUT pain reliever). They are pretty resilient, but if you don't have something antibiotic/antiseptic on it, it'll become infected in short order. BEST of luck, hope the little one recovers - QUICKLY!

Thank you to everyone who replied. Sadly, while it was "napping", it passed away around 2 pm today.
sad.png
I think it was too weak, as it was 2.5 to 3 days old, and it still was unable to walk. The wound probably would have only gotten worse, as it kicked and scratched its head often. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom