Chick's head, wings & feet are growing but not body.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by csalt, Jul 19, 2011.

1. csalt

csalt In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    The poor litlle thing is about a quarter of the size of her siblings but her head, wings and feet are growing but not her body. Her wings are almost dragging on the ground. Will she die if this continues? Do you think she's in pain? She eats and moves around but can't get on roost with the others. It's very sad.

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

Pic please

3. csalt

csalt In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Wish I could but she died yesterday. This is the second chick I've had that's had this very same problem.

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Songster

How old were they and where did you get them? I had a 6wk old SLW cockrel with the same symptoms that died also.

5. csalt

csalt In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    They were both purchased at local poultry swaps. One came with it's siblings and mother (all of which were fine and grew into healthy birds) and the other was purchased with a batch of chicks. The first one lived about 8 weeks and grew a little bit but was still very disproportioned and the one that died yesterday was only about 4 weeks old. As I previously said, everything on them grew normally except the body. I guess at some point it just can't support the parts that are bigger? Very strange and sad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by