1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CHICKS, help please!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lanie8, May 17, 2011.

1. lanie8

lanie8 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    I have a coupple of3 week old chicks,and when I go to bed I turn off the light so they can sleep(room about 80f so they don't need a heat lamp),but as soon as I turn the light off they get really scared,and wont sleep,witch meansme neithr.Any way to get them use to the light being turned off at night?

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I stagger my lights off on the young chicks. When they are outside, the light dims and they slowly aclimate and move into their huddle and roosts. When you are using artificial light all the sudden it goes from being the middle of the day to a cloudy night with no moon. So I turn off the light in the room they are in, leave the hallway light on, then next time I walk by I pull the door a little more closed, and when they are all huddled together and sleeping, I turn the hall light off.

Some people use a red bulbed light at night.

3. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Its best to use the infrared light bulb...its more soothing. Also at 1 week old they should be around 90 degrees still....only drop 5 degrees a week!

4. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

5. fifenashia

fifenashia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Eastern Kentucky
    We use a night bulb for heat and some light but not enough to keep them up, I flip that one on at about 8:00 so there is still some daylight and they get a more natural transition. I like the idea of the timer too!

6. minifarmerct

minifarmerct Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    I use an led night light that goes on as it gets darker costs practically nothing to run

7. lanie8

lanie8 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Thanks for the advice! When the hens get to be full grown do they have to have any lights on at night when its warm out?

8. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Most people don't, but I will have either a 25 watt red bulb in my coop running at night, or a nightlight with a red X-mas bulb in it. The red color doesn't disturb their sleep or make them want to peck/fight the way white bulbs do.
    I have had a few instances when the girls decided it was too nice out to go in the coop until later. Unfortunately, when later came, it was too dark in the coop for them to see to jump up on their roosts. Lesson learned. My procrastinators need a nightlight.

9. minifarmerct

minifarmerct Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    I found some night lites on the internet that use 5 amber leds that give off a warm yellowish
    light they seem to like and as mentioned before leds run forever at little expense

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by